Sunday, August 28, 2016

Leave Me: Gayle Forman




Like almost every other Gayle Forman book I have read, this one was emotional yet incredibly moving. I came close to crying a few times.


I think I fell in love with this book because the main character was so relatable. I'm pretty sure everyone has had the fantasy of just driving away from their life one day. Well, this main character does. 

After a heart attack, Maribeth ends up leaving her kids and her husband and just.....leaves. She gets sick of cooking, of all the cleaning, of not being able to heal from a serious injury. Maribeth learns about her life while not living in it. Maribeth gets an outside perspective, she gains a friend to lean on, and she realizes what family is all about.

What amazes me in this book is Maribeth's dedication. The whole time she is gone (well, the next town over) she doesn't even talk to her husband. And she admits that it kills her not to know what is going on.

This book was so well written, it was easy to read, but it didn't hook me right from the beginning. It did take a while for the story to pick up, although once it did, I fell in love with the characters. It was hard to read at some points, because it was so honest. By the time she finally admits that she can't do it anymore, and calls her husband, I was practically crying like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment