Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Impossible Knife of Memory: Laurie Halse Anderson

This author has done it again! I saw this book pop up at the library I work in, then again on the Goodreads Choice Awards and I couldn't understand why I had not read it. Now I wish I had read it sooner!

Anderson delivers a powerful story, narrated from the perspective of high school senior Hayley Kincain and a few flashbacks from her PTSD and depression ridden father, this book is a masterpiece. I loved the characters (even the ones I hated) and was rooting for Hayley and Finn.

I liked the reality of the situation that Hayley was in. There was no romanticizing the situation, it was tough for everyone involved, and by the end of it you just felt emotionally drained.

via GIPHY

But it was so worth it. I loved the emotion that this book evoked. Hayley is such a strong character, taking care of her father, trying to go to school (not really though), and then maintaining a relationship with Finn. Hayley was spunky and sarcastic and I fell in love with her. After everything she has gone through, she tries not to get too down, but it was inevitable.

I liked that the relationship between Finn and Hayley developed rather gradually, they took the time to get to know each other (in their own warped way), and just took it a day at a time. Finn was an interesting character. I loved the random conversation starters he came up with, pretending to be in different crazy roles, CIA agent, astronaut, and both Hayley and Finn just went with it. I liked their "Anti-dates" that Finn put together for Hayley.

Overall, the book was good. I don't want to say that it was a typical book, but if you have read this author before, then  it is the same as all the rest. The matter of this book was pretty heavy, but the author did a good job inserting comedic relief. The ending did leave something to be desired....it was almost too happy for what happened. Everything happened in what seemed like the last two chapters. There was so much build-up for a super-dramatic crying-my-eyes-out drinking-myself-into-oblivion ending. And then....nope. I liked the open possibility of the couple not having a happy ending, but, come on, we all acted like they lived happily ever after.

via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment