Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Beastly: Alex Flinn

Ugh. I had such high hopes for this book. I really did. I've heard so many good things about the book, and have been waiting to read it for quite a while.

But now that I've finished it...I'm just kinda like

via GIPHY

I wasted hours on this book! So not cool.

So, I won't spend much time on it. But here were the main issues I had.

The characters were not particularly likable. Kyle was turned into a beast, because he was essentially a terrible person, and he needs to redeem himself with true love. But he never really seemed to redeem himself, he just got slightly less whiny. The whole holding Lindy against her will could have been better done. Lindy seemed just a bit melodramatic to me (but it could have been just my view).

Lindy's dad was a dick, and I'm glad that he went out of the picture. But ugh, I felt like everyone in this book needed to get over themselves. I might read one more book by this author just to see if the books get better, if the author develops the writing style. If not, I'm done with this author.

I think the main problem I had with this book was the "group chat" concept that involved all of the other cursed people. There was a lot of text talk that needed deciphering, and I know they were all teenagers so this goes without saying but they all acted like freaking teenagers! Okay, now that is out of my system, here is what I liked.

I liked the whole remade fairy tale aspect of the story. It was an interesting concept to remake from a modern perspective. Will, the blind teacher was pretty cool, I loved the sarcasm from the guy, and that he just kinda did whatever he wanted (or maybe I just really like Neil Patrick Harris playing the part, and kept imagining him for the part).

I recommend this to people who are just bored and really need something to do. But, trust me, I would read a different book before this one. Use it as an emergency backup book only.

No comments:

Post a Comment